It gets old having turkey year after year every Thanksgiving. Switch it up this year and surprise your family and friends with Something different. A great alternative to the thanksgiving turkey is homemade roast, or meatloaf. We decided to share our recipe for making each of these dishes, so that you can enjoy them this holiday season. We think both of these dishes are best with River Road Farm Grass fed Beef.
Homemade Meatloaf (Serves 6)
- 3/4 pound River Road Farm ground beef
- 3/4 pound ground pork
- 2 River Road Farm eggs
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 large onion, peeled and very finely chopped
- 4 Tbsp fresh breadcrumbs, from a day old country loaf
- 1 Tbsp flat leaf parsley chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 6-8 strips of bacon
- In a large bowl mix the meatloaf ingredients. Shape into a loaf form on a rimmed cookie sheet.
- Combine the first 3 topping ingredients and brush on top of the meatloaf. Arrange the bacon on top of that
- Cook in a preheated oven of 400* for an hour to an hour and a half
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 jalapeños, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbs packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbs kosher salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 4 pound River Road Farm chuck roast
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- To make the rub, combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.
- Add the orange juice, lime juice and olive oil and stir until blended.
- Put the beef in a glass or ceramic baking dish that holds it snugly and pour the wet rub over it.
- Turn the roast over to coat it completely. Cover the baking dish and marinate for 6-12 hours in the refrigerator, turning it once.
- Preheat the oven to 250*
- Roast uncovered until the meat shreds readily with a fork. Don’t serve until it is really tender. This could take 4 hours.
- Spread or slice and stir the cilantro into the beef and serve with rice or in tacos.